[Haskell-cafe] On the verge of ... giving up!

Dipankar Ray dipankar at jfet.net
Wed Oct 17 21:16:34 EDT 2007

i fear that, at this point, this thread is a test: if I post a reply, it
shows that I am a fool. ah well.

JK, of course there are foolish teachers out there. I don't think Felipe
was suggesting that this teacher had the right idea, nor that he himself
was going to stop haskelling anytime soon. But when people in relative
power say wrong things, it makes it harder for junior colleagues (or
students) to establish credibility, with other colleagues and students.

You may be of the opinion that such colleagues and students are fools, or
beyond help. But I think none of us made it to the promised land of
haskell in a vacuum - most were introduced by a friend or teacher. Seems
to me that Felipe feels a little thwarted in his desire to pass on the
favor to others.

Your tone suggests that it's some kind of moral weakness to want others to
get what we're talking about, what I'd call the "what do you care what
other people think?" philosophy. Of course, such a mindset can be very
valuable, and we should all cultivate self-confidence.

Nevertheless, I think there's no shame in wanting other people to share in
our joy - many of us are on this email list because we are
mini-evangelists as well as lovers of haskell. on the whole, I think we
evangelists can be a good thing for haskell, though of course we must be
responsible scholars ourselves.

It's not clear to me that Einstein slept so well (for myriad reasons), and
one can easily point to people who were geniuses and visionaries, who were
miserable for much of their life (Cantor, Godel, Turing, etc). Aren't we
all, to some degree, interested in creating a world where our ideas get
more support? You mention MS Research supporting the Simons - well, MSR
does so in part because both of them (and their colleagues at MSR
Cambridge) are tireless evangelists, who are fantastically generous with
their time, ideas, and code.

One way to go might be to code haskell in self-confident semi-secrecy, and
demonstrate the wonderfulness of our ideas by the results it produces.
This would be great. Another way to go is to teach others what is
*already* known. I think we can all agree that today there is a vast gulf
between what is considered "good", "professional" programming, and what is
the state of the art in CS (and specifically PL theory) today. Hence I
suspect that the good fight can be fought on many fronts at the same time.