[Haskell-cafe] Do you trust Wikipedia?

Jules Bean jules at jellybean.co.uk
Fri Oct 19 09:34:09 EDT 2007

jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr wrote:
> *PLEASE*, show me untrustworthy Wikipedia pages.

Any article on a disputed territory or open political dispute.

Most articles on a controversial philosophy.

Many articles on living people.

I hope I don't have to give examples. Certainly I don't wish to discuss
any of the above topics here.

Fortunately, articles on mathematics have several virtues which make
them less likely to subject to the problems which plague the above.
There is a notion of objective proof, there is a wide peer-reviewed
literature which can be used as references, there are a disproportionate
number of wikipedians with mathematical ability to catch errors.

Jules