[Haskell-cafe] Re: Hiding side effects in a data structure

Peter Hercek peter at syncad.com
Sun Oct 21 05:19:03 EDT 2007

Jon Fairbairn wrote:
  > A hyperlink of the form <a
> href="http://.../long-research-paper.html#interesting-paragraph">
> interesting bit</a> is far more useful than one of the form
> section 49.7.3</a>.  It may not seem significant, but when
> one is attempting to learn some new part of Haskell it's
> really off-putting.

Pdfs are not that bad. You can hyper link into them too. It would
  look like:
  ... to open the pdf a position you on page 45 of it
  or like:
  ... to open the pdf and position you on anchor anchorName

You can do it from command line too:
  acrord32 /A page=45 long-research-paper.pdf
  acrord32 /A anchorName long-research-paper.pdf

This of course requires the source to give you more precise link.
  But here there is no difference from html only ... possibly ...
  more people know about html linking than pdf linking.

The above definitely works OK on windows, not sure about linux
  pdf viewers.

Unfortunately I cannot find now how you can look at all
  anchors defined in a pdf (so that you can use something better
  than page=<num>).

Peter.