[Haskell-cafe] Re: Hiding side effects in a data structure

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Sun Oct 21 10:51:45 EDT 2007

On Oct 21, 2007, at 6:29 , Jon Fairbairn wrote:

> No, they (or at least links to them) typically are that bad!
> Mind you, as far as fragment identification is concerned, so
> are a lot of html pages.  But even if the links do have
> fragment ids, pdfs still impose a significant overhead: I
> don't want stuff swapped out just so that I can run a pdf
> viewer; a web browser uses up enough resources as it is. And
> will Hoogle link into pdfs?

I prefer HTML for online viewing and PDF for offline.

BTW, you might consider a trick:  look up the PDF on google, use the
HTML view.  This is generally poor for documents with significant
graphics, but works reasonably well for most Haskell papers (modulo
math I usually can't figure out anyway, lacking the background many
Haskellers have in set theory / rings / groups/semigroups etc.).

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu