[Haskell-cafe] Re: How much of Haskell was possible 20 years ago?

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Sun Oct 21 15:28:31 EDT 2007

On Oct 21, 2007, at 15:21 , Maurí cio wrote:

> Of course. But I think of somethink like a Intel 386 with 4MB
> of memory.

It's kinda surprising to me how many people think that just because
current/modern implementations of things use memory wastefully, this
is somehow mandatory.  When machines were smaller, programs used
algorithms which were suited to those machines; the reason they don't
now is to some extent laziness but also because those algorithms
often didn't scale to larger available memory (i.e. you get *big*
speedups with more profligate algorithms when the memory they want is
available).

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu