[Haskell-cafe] Re: How much of Haskell was possible 20 years ago?

Stefan O'Rear stefanor at cox.net
Sun Oct 21 22:15:39 EDT 2007

On Sun, Oct 21, 2007 at 10:02:25PM -0400, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:
> On Oct 21, 2007, at 21:31 , Maurí cio wrote:
>> Anyway, what I would like would be a "theoretical"
>> answer. Is there something fundamentally diferent
>> between a C compiler and a Haskell one that makes
>> the former fits into 30Kb but not the other? If

Another large part of the issue is that C compilers tend to be written
in C, while Haskell compilers tend to be written in Haskell.  C, as a
lower level language, strongly encourages programmers to think about
issues such as space and time usage, at the cost of much more
development time.  In terms of simple complexity, the difference isn't
all that big - the original NHC (a minimalistic haskell compiler)
weighed in at around 9 kloc.  How big is your favorite C compiler in
source-code terms?

Stefan