[Haskell-cafe] will the real quicksort please stand up? (or: sorting a > million element list)

Thomas Hartman thomas.hartman at db.com
Mon Oct 22 18:44:57 EDT 2007

another point: "deforested" treesort is slower.

hartthoma at linuxpt:~/ProjectRepos/learning/quicksort>time ghc -e "test
treeSort' 6" quicksort
1000000

real    4m3.615s
user    1m59.525s
sys     0m0.587s

The commented indicated that

-- If you deforest this algorithm (removing the intermediate tree
structure) you are left with
treeSort' [] = []
treeSort' (x:xs) = treeSort' (filter (<= x) xs) ++ [x] ++ treeSort'
(filter (x <) xs)

So.. my take home lesson is that deforestation isn't a performance neutral
thing to do. Assuming the comment is correct. (I don't consider myself
qualified  to judge.)

t.

---

e-mail is strictly forbidden.