[Haskell-cafe] Re: OS Abstraction module??

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 08:23:46 EDT 2007

Galchin Vasili wrote:

>     I am really talking about a module or perhaps a Haskell class that
> provides notion for multiple threads of execution, semaphores, .. that
> "hides" POSIX vs Win32 APIs ..

I wonder if this discussion is missing the point: if you only want to do
threads, then Haskell (or GHC, to be more precise) already provides thread
abstractions that hide the OS-specific implementation details.  In fact,
doing it yourself with the FFI is likely to cause a lot of problems.

Take a look at the Control.Concurrent module, and GHC's -threaded option.

Cheers,
	Simon