[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] Image manipulation

Dan Piponi dpiponi at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 19:14:04 EDT 2007

Jerzy,

There is a simple framework for performing filtering operations on
images lazily: http://sigfpe.blogspot.com/2006/12/evaluating-cellular-automata-is.html
(Scroll down to the 2D example in the comments.)

2D digital filters lend themselves nicely to a comonadic framework
though you probably have to drop the comonads for operations other
than convolution type things. And you're right, doing this lazily at
the pixel level is expensive. However, if we replace pixels with
256x256 blocks, say, where the blocks themselves are strict but the
images are lazily made up of blocks, then we have the potential for a
nice and efficient image processing library that inherits its laziness
directly from Haskell.

On 10/30/07, jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr