[Haskell-cafe] Closures and pointfree functions

Lars Oppermann loppermann at acm.org
Mon Sep 3 14:44:20 EDT 2007

Ah, thanks...

However, I think I have just become more confused as to what makes a
closure a closure. The defining principle seems to go along the lines
some kind of context that is enclosed within the closure object. It
was argued elsewhere [1] that a higher order function is not
necessarily a closure. So, coming back to the Wiki example of
  f x = (\y -> x + y)

The free variable x in the lambda term refers to a variable bound
outside of the actual term. However, I don't quite see how this can be
seen as enclosing some kind of context... it's just a function
returning a function, isn't it? This seems to be underlined by the
fact that it can be rewritten in a pointfree fashion where there
really is no binding whatsoever at the time of definition.

If someone could point out a more specific example for showing where
the difference between closures and higher-order functions could be
drawn I'd be most grateful...

[1] http://notes-on-haskell.blogspot.com/2007/02/whats-wrong-with-for-loop.html#comment-859881452769224042