[Haskell-cafe] Mutable but boxed arrays?

Ketil Malde ketil at ii.uib.no
Thu Sep 6 00:50:16 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 20:37 +0200, Henning Thielemann wrote:
> Can someone explain me, why there are arrays with mutable but boxed
> elements?

I, on the other hand, have always wondered why the strict arrays are
called "unboxed", rather than, well, "strict"?  Strictness seems to be
their observable property, while unboxing is just an (admittedly
important) implementation optimization.  I imagine that it'd be at least
as easy to implement the strictness as the unboxedness for non-GHC
compilers, and thus increase compatibility.

-k