[Haskell-cafe] Building "production stable" software in Haskell

Ketil Malde ketil at ii.uib.no
Tue Sep 18 03:05:33 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 01:11 +0100, Neil Mitchell wrote:

> DBM's can differentiate themselves on external database support,

Surely this is an opportunity to focus development on a single library
with broader support?  Currently, we have HSQL and HDBC supplying
incompatible low-level interfaces, supporting a different set of back
ends.  No matter what I choose, I risk having to make a costly
conversion later on.

> XML is not simple and does not interface to third
> party programs. I can think of at least 4 XML libraries, all of which
> are quite different.

...and at least some of them come with their own re-implementation of
Data.Tree.

I think competition and choice can be great, but I also think it is
important to have a good default libraries to turn to for, well,
"production stable" software.

-k