[Haskell-cafe] Library Process (was Building "production stable" software in Haskell)

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 06:03:34 EDT 2007

Hi

> What is the process for the inclusion of modules / packages in ghc, hugs and
> other compilers & interpreters?

Propose to have the packaged added. There is a very low chance of this
being accepted. The only packages to have recently been added were
FilePath and ByteString, both of which were obvious deficiencies in
the libraries. I'm now not aware of any hole that is likely to get
plugged by bundling an additional library.

> Should
> something experimental be a base package? And shouldn't all modules that are
> base packages declare their status?

No, they should all be reasonably stable. Things that are unstable are
likely to move out of the standard libraries and just become hackage
packages.

> Perhaps these are questions for the libraries mailing list but I thought I'd
> start here.

Now there is a question I can't answer - I have no idea what should go
down the libraries list and what should go down the haskell-cafe list.
Perhaps someone could put up a guide of "if your question/comment is
like this, send it on this list"

Thanks

Neil