[Haskell-cafe] Building "production stable" software in Haskell

brad clawsie clawsie at fastmail.fm
Tue Sep 18 12:04:10 EDT 2007

On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 05:26:05PM +0100, Neil Mitchell wrote:
> Compare me changing my tagsoup library, to me changing my filepath
> library which comes bundled with GHC. I can do anything I want to the
> tagsoup library, but I need to wait at least 2 weeks and get general
> consensus before changing filepath.

okay, but this fails in some cases. i wrote a package to obtain
financial quotes. yahoo changed the webservice url on me. i rolled out
a change within a day. in your model, people suffer a broken service
for two weeks.

clearly there is a time and a place for code review. there is also a
time and a place for rapid response.

> Also some libraries on hackage are "0.1" etc - even the author doesn't
> particularly think they are stable!

this is a sound practice and i applaud the authors for safely and
soundly warning potential users of code immaturity. when my code has
been in use for a year or so with no error reports, then i will say
that it is "stable" and give it a 1.0 designation. until then, it is
indeed in a testing mode.