[Haskell-cafe] Noob question and sequence of operations (print then do something else)

Lanny Ripple lanny at cisco.com
Mon Sep 24 10:57:38 EDT 2007

Well aa isn't returning a string.  It's returning a function for
later evaluation which encapsulates the string.  It's like
driving anywhere in California.  You can't get there following
the road signs unless you've driven there once before.  In this
case the road signs say "return a string" but the way to get
their is "return a string encapsulated in a function".  The error
message ("you can't get there from here") is then straightforward.

   -ljr

Andrew Coppin wrote:
>> aa :: String -> String
>> aa instr = do
>>   putStrLn "abc"
>>   putStrLn "abc"
>>   return "Az"
>>
 >>   Couldn't match expected type `[t]' against inferred type
`IO ()'

--
Lanny Ripple <lanny at cisco.com>
ScmDB / Cisco Systems, Inc.