[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Cheat Sheet?

Dan Weston westondan at imageworks.com
Tue Sep 25 20:19:20 EDT 2007

One suggestion:

Section 3.6 defines a function "fix":

  fix :: Eq x => (x -> x) -> x -> x

  fix f x = if x == x' then x else fix f x'
      where x' = f x

This confusingly differs in both type and meaning from the traditional
function Control.Monad.Fix.fix and is not even used elsewhere in the
document.

I suggest that it be removed and the real Control.Monad.Fix.fix function
be defined in its own section, with an side-by-side comparison with a
named recursive function. This would be useful because the type

fix :: (a -> a) -> a

is highly confusing, suggesting to newcomers a usage like:

f = fix (+1)

which is undefined (and seems to be "missing an argument"), when
invariably its type is in practice restricted to:

which is much more suggestive (but nowhere to be found in the docs).

Dan Weston