[Haskell-cafe] Re: PROPOSAL: New efficient Unicode string library.

Chaddaï Fouché chaddai.fouche at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 07:01:45 EDT 2007

2007/9/27, Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk>:
> > Infrequent, but they exist, which means you can't seek x/2 bytes ahead
> > to seek x characters ahead.  All such seeking must be linear for both
> > UTF-16 *and* UTF-8.
>
> And in [Char] for all these years, yet I don't hear people complaining. Most
> string processing is linear and does not need random access to characters.

Well, if you never heard anyone complaining about [Char] and never had
any problem with it's slowness, you're probably not in a field where
the efficiency of a Unicode library is really a concern, that's for
sure. (I know that the _main_ problem with [Char] wasn't random
access, but you must admit [Char] isn't really a good example to speak
about efficiency problems)

--
Jedaï