[Haskell-cafe] Re: type families and type signatures

Mark P Jones mpj at cs.pdx.edu
Mon Apr 7 10:33:11 EDT 2008

The surprising thing about this example is the fact that
the definition of foo is accepted, and not the fact that
the definition of foo' is rejected.  At least in Manuel's
"equivalent" program using functional dependencies, both
functions have ambiguous types, and hence both would be
rejected.  It sounds like your implementation may be using
a relaxed approach to ambiguity checking that delays
ambiguity checking from the point of definition to the
point of use.  Although this is probably still sound, it
can lead to puzzling error diagnostics ...

All the best,
Mark