[Haskell-cafe] What's the difference?

Dan Weston westondan at imageworks.com
Tue Apr 8 17:58:57 EDT 2008

Yes, sorry I should have read the post more carefully. I was talking
specifically the use of => in class declarations, and this is a good
example of how inconsistent the notation seems to me.

It is in the class declaration that the arrow is backwards. (I imagine
this decision was more syntactically motivated by the fact that <= is
already the less-than-or-equal-to symbol, rather than intended semantic
confusion?)

class    Necessary  a => My a   i.e. My a implies Necessary a
instance Sufficient a => My a   i.e. Sufficient a implies My a

I pronounce the => in class declarations as "required for", and in
instance definitions as "sufficient for".

For me, the word "implies" is too tied in my brain to an arrow symbol to
be useful to me in keeping the implications straight.

Dan