[Haskell-cafe] ANN: graphics-drawingcombinators 0.1

Luke Palmer lrpalmer at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 20:34:12 EDT 2008

graphics-drawingcombinators 0.1 has just been uploaded to hackage:

http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/graphics-drawingcombinators-0.1

Have you ever tried to write a simple 2D interface or game but found:

  * wxHaskell and gtk2hs are hard to install and learn
  * SDL does not provide enough by itself
  * OpenGL is gross and imperative?

Then you're in luck, with the release of this very immature new
module, Graphics.DrawingCombinators!
This module is a wrapper around OpenGL with a functional interface,
handling a small subset but
still common set of 2D OpenGL functions.

It currently handles some simple geometric primitives and
transformations, loading images from
files and SDL.Surfaces, and drawing text using SDL.TTF.

I plan to add more support for lots of stuff in the future, the next
priorities being:

  * A clean "picking" interface.
  * Ability to draw non-regular polygons (yeah, that's kinda important
isn't it...)

If there are any features which you would find useful (as long as it's
in the 2D realm,
I'm still contemplating how to do 3D stuff), I'd be glad to hear it
and implement it.

Look at example.hs in the distro for an example of how to use this with SDL.

Enjoy!

Luke