[Haskell-cafe] type families and type signatures

Lennart Augustsson lennart at augustsson.net
Thu Apr 10 02:58:44 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 4:20 AM, Manuel M T Chakravarty <
chak at cse.unsw.edu.au> wrote:

> the five signatures
>
>  forall a. S a
>  forall b. S b
>  forall a b. S (a, b)
>  Int
>  S Int

By alpha-convertible I mean the usual thing from lambda calculus, they are
identical modulo the names of bound variables.
So only the first two are alpha-convertible to each other.

If you involve any kind of reduction the equivalence test is no longer
trivial.

All I'm asking for really, is to be able to paste in the type that was
inferred as the signature, without the compiler complaining.

  -- Lennart