[Haskell-cafe] monadic debugging

Thomas Davie tatd2 at kent.ac.uk
Tue Apr 15 20:16:00 EDT 2008

On 16 Apr 2008, at 00:04, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
> Hello Vasili,
>
> Wednesday, April 16, 2008, 2:53:32 AM, you wrote:
>
>>     I have an Linux executable of my Haskell library and test
>> case. I see there are several debuggers, e.g. Buddha, Hat, etc.
>> Which debugger is currently preferred for monadic (imperative)
>> code? Thanks.
>
> i use print mainly :)  btw, there is also built-in ghci debugger, i
> suspect that it's closest one to the usual debuggers and most useful
> one for imperative code (but i never tried anything, so don't trust
> me :)

Having worked lots on Hat, and studied all (I hope or I've got a hole
in my research) of the debuggers out there, I'd have to say that
debugging monadic code is still very much an unsolved problem.
Putting print statements in is probably your best option.

You may want to try hat-delta, or buddha's functional mapping mode --
both of them should be capable of reducing sequences of monadic
operations to a single operation and a function map.

Tom Davie