[Haskell-cafe] GC'ing file handles and other resources

Abhay Parvate abhay.parvate at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 01:30:34 EDT 2008

Your mail gives me an idea, though I am not an iota familiar with
compiler/garbage collector internals. Can we have some sort of internally
maintained priority associated with allocated objects? The garbage collector
should look at these objects first when it tries to free anything. The
objects which hold other system resources apart from memory, such as file
handles, video memory, and so on could be allocated as higher priority
objects. Is such a thing possible?