[Haskell-cafe] Hackage Haddock fails where local succeeds

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Thu Apr 17 07:45:40 EDT 2008

Hi folks,

Over at

http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/MissingH/1.0.1.2/logs/failure/ghc-6.8

the build has failed in the Hackage step with this output:

src/Data/BinPacking.hs:78:32:
    parse error on input `-- ^ The sizes of bins'
haddock: Failed to check module: Data.BinPacking

That section of code looks like this:

{- | The primary type for bin-packing functions.

These functions take a list of size of bins.  If every bin is the same size,
you can pass @(repeat binSize)@ to pass an infinite list of bins if the
same size.  Any surplus bins will simply be ignored. -}
type BinPacker = (Num size, Ord size, Show size, Show obj) =>
                  [size]        -- ^ The sizes of bins
               -> [(size, obj)] -- ^ The sizes and objects
               -> Either (BinPackerError size obj) [[(size, obj)]] -- ^
Either error or results

(the last line got artificially wrapped in my mail client)

My local haddock, 0.8, parses this file fine.  Is Hackage running and older
version?  Could it be upgraded?  Or is there something else going on here?

-- John