[Haskell-cafe] Re: Wrong Answer Computing Graph Dominators

ChrisK haskell at list.mightyreason.com
Fri Apr 18 07:52:07 EDT 2008

More algebraically, including 'or' for symmtry:

and xs = foldr (&&) True xs
or xs = foldr (||) False xs

The True and False are the (monoid) identities with respect to && and || :

True && x == x
x && True == x

False || x == x
x || False == x

And so an empty list, if defined at all, should be the identity:

and [] = True
or [] = False

In english:
"and returns false" when "is any element of the list false?" is yes
"or returns true" when "is any element of the list true?" is yes