[Haskell-cafe] looking for examples of non-full Functional Dependencies

Lennart Augustsson lennart at augustsson.net
Fri Apr 18 15:58:49 EDT 2008

BTW, here's a non-contrived example.  It's pretty easy to come up with
examples when you try to use type classes instead of a proper module system.

Here we have expressions parametrized over how identifiers and literals are
represented.  First a simple instance, and then one where all the types are
parametrized over the string representation.  These are the plug-and-play
type of things I'd like to be able to do.

class IsExpr expr id lit | expr -> id lit where
    eId :: id -> expr
    eLit :: lit -> expr
    eApply :: expr -> expr -> expr

data SimpleExpr = SId Char | SLit Int | SApply SimpleExpr SimpleExpr

instance IsExpr SimpleExpr Char Int where
    eId = SId
    eLit = SLit
    eApply = SApply

data FancyExpr str = FId (Id str) | FLit (Lit str) | FApply (FancyExpr str)
(FancyExpr str)

data Id str = Id str
data Lit str = LString str | LInt Int

instance IsExpr (FancyExpr str) (Id str) (Lit str) where
    eId = FId
    eLit = FLit
    eApply = FApply