[Haskell-cafe] announce: Glome.hs-0.3 (Haskell raytracer)

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Fri Apr 18 17:34:06 EDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 02:09:28PM -0700, Jim Snow wrote:
> On a particular scene with one instance of the single-threaded renderer
> running, it takes about 19 seconds to render an image.  With two
> instances running, they each take about 23 seconds.  This is on an
> Athlon-64 3800+ dual core, with 512kB of L2 cache per core.  So, it
> seems my memory really is slowing things down noticeably.

This doesn't mean there's no hope, it just means that you'll need to be
extra-clever if you're to get a speedup that is close to optimal.  The key
to overcoming memory bandwidth issues is to think about cache use and
figure out how to improve it.  For instance, O(N^3) matrix multiplication
can be done in close to O(N^2) time provided it's memory-limited, by
blocking memory accesses so that you access less memory at once.

In the case of ray-tracing I've little idea where or how you could improve
memory access patterns, but this is what you should be thinking about (if
you want to optimize this code).  Of course, improving overall scaling is
best (e.g. avoiding using lists if you need random access).  Next I'd ask
if there are more efficent or compact data structures that you could be
using.  If your program uses less memory, a greater fraction of that memory
will fit into cache.  Switching to stricter data structures and turning on
-funbox-strict-fields (or whatever it's called) may help localize your
memory access.  Even better if you could manage to use unboxed arrays, so
that your memory accesses really would be localized (assuming that you
actually do have localize memory-access patterns).

Of course, also ask yourself how much memory your program is using in
total.  If it's not much more than 512kB, for instance, we may have
misdiagnosed your problem.
--
David Roundy
Department of Physics