[Haskell-cafe] I hate Haskell's typeclasses

Anton van Straaten anton at appsolutions.com
Sat Apr 19 14:55:30 EDT 2008

David MacIver wrote:
> Independently of the rant...
>
> On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 6:01 AM, Jonathan Cast
> <jonathanccast at fastmail.fm> wrote:
>>> But why do I need to jump through these hoops for a perfectly safe &
>>> commonly desired operation?
>>>
>>  It's called a proof obligation.  Haskell is not here to stop you from
>> jumping through hoops.  In fact, it is here precisely to force you to jump
>> through hoops.  That's why it's called a bondage and discipline language.
>
> Surely it's there to lovingly assist you through the hoops?

 From what I've read, B&D relationships can be quite loving, despite
appearances.  And Haskell has safewords you can use if the pain gets too
intense, like unsafePerformIO.

Just be sure to get the capitalization right, or Mistress Haskell will
punish you again with a "not in scope" message.  At which point it's
customary to fix the error, and reinvoke the compiler while saying
"Thank you ma'am, may I have another?"