[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: Generic Haskell 1.80 (Emerald)

Thomas van Noort thomas at cs.ru.nl
Tue Apr 22 08:03:02 EDT 2008

Hello,

I took the liberty to move this discussion to the Haskell-Cafe mailing list.

Adrian Hey wrote:
> Thomas van Noort wrote:
>>    Pleasant programming,
>
> Hello,
>
> This looks like good stuff. But having done all this work it seems
> a pity not to go the extra mm and cabalise this and make it buildable
> on all platforms (at least ghc supported platforms).

You are right, cabalizing the Makefiles implies that Generic Haskell can
be build on any platform that is supported by GHC. However, this
requires a tremendous amount of effort since the Makefiles of Generic
Haskell are enormous.

> The reason I'm interested is this may be useful for the GSoC project
> I'm mentoring..
>
>  http://code.google.com/soc/2008/haskell/about.html
>
> But as things are, I'd be unlikely to consider introducing a dependency
> on this. Even if it built "out of the box" with cygwin (which it
> doesn't BTW) I don't really think many windows users will be keen to
> install cygwin and learn how to use it just so they can build GH.

As you already noticed, there is no Windows binary available for the
Emerald release. However, there is one for the Coral release, available
from:

http://www.generic-haskell.org

Although this is an old release of Generic Haskell, this release already
supports generic types, which is what you need for your project
probably. In the user's guide, there is a small example available which
defines a generic type to represent tries.

The latest release of Generic Haskell supports generic views for generic
types. This allows you to define a generic type that generates efficient
balanced tries, as you can read in my Master's thesis :) This requires
the use of the balanced view on the type level. Unfortunately, this
generic view is not implemented in the Generic Haskell compiler...

> Thanks
> --
> Adrian Hey

Regards,