[Haskell-cafe] Stronger STM primitives needed? Or am I just doing it wrong?

Tim Harris (RESEARCH) tharris at microsoft.com
Wed Apr 23 10:54:15 EDT 2008

Hi,

I think this could be a nice addition.

What do you think about a slight change:

   readTVarWhen :: TVar a -> (a -> bool) -> STM a

This would retry until the (a->bool) function returns true (and, of course, as with a normal "retry", the implementation would need to watch all of the TVars that have been read).

This would avoid replicating the condition in the control flow of the program and the parameter to retryUntil, and avoid the possibility that the two conditions might be inconsistent (or can you see any examples where it might be useful to have different conditions)?

Do you have a program where the basic implementation with "retry" is performing badly?  If you're OK distributing it then could we add it to the STM benchmark suite that the group at Barcelona Supercomputing Center are developing?

Thanks,

Tim