[Haskell-cafe] Trying to build a stand-alone executable GLUT app with ghc, Windows XP

Jefferson Heard jefferson.r.heard at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 22:23:58 EDT 2008

Google "download glut32.dll" and pull that file down and put it in the
directory with your executable.  I'd attach it myself, but gmail won't let
me.  I use that all the time, though.

2008/4/25 Peter Schmitz <ps.haskell at gmail.com>:

> Problem summary
>
> Trying to build a stand-alone executable GLUT app with ghc, Windows XP
>
> Problem description
>
> I compile and link (without errors) a simple GLUT application under Windows
> XP.
> When I run it, XP pops an error window saying the app cannot start due to a
> missing "glut32.dll".
>
> I want to do a static build to create a stand-alone executable GLUT app
> under Windows XP,
> without using DLL files, or placing any files in the Windows system dir.
> This is my first GUI code in Haskell, and I chose GLUT because it is a
> standard library.
>
> Following are some details.
> Thanks much for any advice.
>
> Source code
>
> -- Simple GLUT app to create a window
> module Main(main) where
>
> import Graphics.Rendering.OpenGL
> import Graphics.UI.GLUT
>
> main = do
>    (progname, _) <- getArgsAndInitialize
>    createWindow "Hello World"
>    mainLoop
>
>  Compile/run Environment
>
> ghc-6.8.2 on a USB flashdrive under a non-admin Windows XP account
>
> ghc dir is not on C:
>
> E:\apps\ghc\ghc-6.8.2
>
> XP shell used: cmd.exe
>
> shell path
>
> E:\ghcTest>path
>
> PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;E:\apps\ghc\ghc-6.8.2\bin;.\
>
> ghc library path
>
> E:\ghcTest>ghc --print-libdir
>
> E:/apps/ghc/ghc-6.8.2
>
> compile/link output
>
> E:\ghcTest>ghc --make x  -package GLUT
>
> [1 of 1] Compiling Main             ( x.hs, x.o )
>
> Linking x.exe ...
>
> E:\ghcTest>
>
> files (sizes in bytes)
>
>        186 x.hs
>        387 x.hi
>     3,184 x.o
>        498 x.exe.manifest
> 609,222 x.exe
>
>  When application is run
>
> Error dialog window pops up
>
> window title
>
> a.exe - Unable To Locate Component
>
> window text
>
> The application has failed to start because glut32.dll was not found.
> Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
>
> No output in shell; no glut window is created.
>

> Other builds tried; same runtime error
>
> ghc  --make x  -package GLUT  -static
>
> ghc -package GLUT  x.hs  -o x
>
> ghc --make x  -package GLUT  -LE:\apps\ghc\ghc-6.8.2\lib\GLUT-2.1.1.1
>
> ghc --make x  -LE:\apps\ghc\ghc-6.8.2\lib\GLUT-2.1.1.1
>
> --

I try to take things like a crow; war and chaos don't always ruin a picnic,
they just mean you have to be careful what you swallow.

-- Jessica Edwards