[Haskell-cafe] Replacing RDMS - why I want this retrying?

Mads Lindstrøm mads_lindstroem at yahoo.dk
Sat Apr 26 13:20:34 EDT 2008

Hi,

Marc Weber wrote:

> > Another question is why do you want to we replace RDBMS-es?
> a) Speed. A simple HAppS state benchmark shows that inserting records
>    can be 10 times faster than MySQL
>    don't know wether its' because switching processes, parsing SQL queries ?

You could try using prepared statements, see
http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/4.1/prepared-statements.html . According to the article, this will save the parsing overhead but not the prepare-plan overhead. However, the article is about MySQL 4.1, so maybe newer versions of MySQL may only need to prepare the execution plan once. PostgreSQL seems to supports preparing both parse result and the prepare-plan result (see http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/sql-prepare.html ).

/Mads Lindstrøm