[Haskell-cafe] Simplest possible Fasta shootout entry. How do I zap the ugly line? Suggest any other improvements.

Richard Kelsall r.kelsall at millstream.com
Mon Apr 28 14:22:02 EDT 2008

Don Stewart wrote:
> r.kelsall:
>> (Extracting these questions from my previous thread for clarity.)
>>
>> Below is my simplest possible program to solve the Fasta shootout
>> benchmark.
>>
>> http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?test=fasta&lang=all
>> http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Shootout/Fasta
>>
>> I can see one remaining flaw - the line marked 'Ugly'. What's the best
>> way to get rid of this line?
>>
>> Any other suggestions for simplifying or improving the program would
>> also be interesting.
>>
>> This code is about three or four times slower that the current fastest
>> GHC entry for the Fasta benchmark. I'll elaborate it for speed when
>> I've produced the best version regardless of speed.
>
> This is quite nice, and you can probably match the current entry
> by switching to lazy ByteString IO, as the current entry does.
>
> -- Don

Thanks Don :) I'll try that. The thing I really like about this version
is that it localizes the 'breaking the lines at 60 characters' part of
the program to just one function. I would never have thought to do this
in a language other than Haskell and looking through most of the other
language submissions for Fasta I can't see any that abstract this
feature. I seem to be able to think more clearly in Haskell.

Richard.