[Haskell-cafe] approximating pi

Benjamin L. Russell dekudekuplex at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 30 01:12:28 EDT 2008

I was thinking of how to represent this process graphically on a computer screen.  Assuming one wanted to perform a demo of this algorithm (in the spirit of XTANGO, an algorithm animator that I had used for my senior project in 1994), in order to represent the square and the circle on-screen, one would need to represent the objects with pixels.  Many desktop and laptop computer screens these days have a minimum resolution of 800x600 pixels; assuming this resolution, I wanted to see how this algorithm could be animated using a square with 100 pixels per side.

The problem is how to define "reasonable."  As you stated, since the relative error falls as 1/sqrt(N), where N is the number of samples, and 100x100=10000 pixels, then for, say, even a relative error of 1/100, we would need to fill up the entire square (10000 pixels).  I would really like a relative error of 1/1000, in which case we would need 1000x1000=1000000 samples, which would require filling up a square ten times longer per side.

This is unlikely to work in practice with most desktop and laptop computer screens; so, I'll lower my expectations slightly.  I'll be very lenient and set my acceptable relative error to 1/10.  Then, since the relative error falls as 1/sqrt(N), since sqrt(100)=10, N can be 100.  The square has an area of 100x100=10000 pixels.

This would allow a very rough estimate of pi that could actually be demonstrated graphically using an algorithm animator.

Benjamin L. Russell