[Haskell-cafe] question about "faulting in" Haskell packages ...

david48 dav.vire+haskell at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 02:52:09 EDT 2008

You need to get cabal-install.
Here's how I got it working on kubuntu :

1) install GHC 6.8.3 from haskell.org's binaries (kubuntu hardy isn't
at 6.8.3 yet....)
2) download from hackage :
* cabal-install-0.5.1.tar.gz from hackage
* HTTP-3001.0.4.tar.gz
* zlib-0.4.0.4.tar.gz
* Cabal-1.4.0.1.tar.gz

3) build and install http, zlib, Cabal and then cabal-install

for each package you have to type (*) :

runhaskell Setup.hs configure
runhaskell Setup.hs build
sudo runhaskell Setup.hs install

(*) sometimes it'll be Setup.lhs, I'm annoyed that it's not always the
same name, can't rely on shell history :(

4) once cabal-install is  installed you can do

cabal update
sudo cabal upgrade --global

that'll upgrade all your ghc's packages.

5) from now if you want to install package a just type

cabal install a --global

cabal should download packages b,c,d for you if required.

P.S. Sorry for the previous email, it got sent before I finished it :)