[darcs-users] [Haskell-cafe] Re: poll: how can we help you contribute to darcs?

Ashley Moran ashley.moran at patchspace.co.uk
Sun Aug 3 07:23:21 EDT 2008

Sorry for the duplication, I'm now on the haskell-cafe list and wanted
to track the other half of this thread.

On Aug 03, 2008, at 8:36 am, Don Stewart wrote:

> And all this delay while the git juggernaut takes over the internet.

That's the biggest tragedy.  It's the same disappointment I have
knowing Linux is more popular than FreeBSD!  Still, a project doesn't
have to have a near-monopoly to be successful.  There are still far
less people using Ruby than Java, but there's more than enough to
provide a vibrant ecosystem.  (And it's one that churns out way more
cool stuff than the Java world - there's no technical reason why
Haskell couldn't do so too.)

GitHub is responsible for git's popularity.  Git is so popular not
because it's the best, but because it has the best Web 2.0 site.  I
work primarily in web development and it did occur to me to have a
stab at darcshub, but I didn't know how much work would be involved in
making something useful (I don't have much spare time right now), and
if I'd be the only person that used it...

I think that would be a major boost for darcs though, if anyone wanted
a go.  And it could be in any language, not just Haskell.

Ashley

--
http://www.patchspace.co.uk/
http://aviewfromafar.net/