[Haskell-cafe] ANN: Haskore tutorial (programming music using Haskell)

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Sat Aug 9 13:56:14 EDT 2008

On Thu, 7 Aug 2008, Henk-Jan van Tuyl wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 10:59:10 +0200, jinjing <nfjinjing at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > Here's the project link:
> >
> > http://github.com/nfjinjing/haskore-guide/tree/master/doc/index.markdown
> >
> > I found Haskore pretty fun :) so I'm documenting it while learning it.
> > Please don't hesitate to give suggestions / corrections.
> >

> About the installation section: I think beginners will be grateful if you
> write down the full "darcs get" commands and explain the --global
> parameter of the "cabal install" command.
>
> There are two more packages that need to be downloaded:
>   - package hosc depends on package binary
>   - package haskore depends on package unix
>
> Windows users will be grateful if you tell them that Haskore cannot be
> built on Windows, because of the dependance on the unix package. It would
> have saved me a lot of time if I knew that beforehand.

'unix' is only one of the dependencies, that is there due to Haskore's
monolithic nature. I see you have found the offending places yourself. As
a first hack you can hide them with Cabal flags and CPP, as you did, but
in the long run, there should be small packages that allow the user to
install the things that work for him.