[Haskell-cafe] GLfloat on a Mac

Conor McBride conor at strictlypositive.org
Tue Aug 12 05:43:33 EDT 2008

Hi

Thanks for the quick response.

On 12 Aug 2008, at 10:18, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:

> On 2008 Aug 12, at 5:11, Conor McBride wrote:
>
>> $ ghc -package GLUT HelloWorld.lhs -o HelloWorld
>> Illegal instruction
>>
>> I'm using ghc 6.8.3 on a Mac PowerBook G4. Googling
>> "OpenGL illegal instruction" produced an unending
>> choice of horror stories.
>>
>> What message am I not getting? Is there some crucial
>> manual I'm not reading? Is there something which we
>> should be being told on the relevant wiki page?
>

> You need to find (or build) a G4-compatible ghc; the 6.8.3 build
> for Leopard (and Tiger?) was built for a G5, and the above is the
> result.

This sounds like bad news to me. I wonder how broken this
G5 ghc is for a G4. Perhaps it should be labelled G5
rather than PowerPC in the large print. I'm quite scared
about trying to build ghc: I worry that it may involve
confronting large areas of my ignorance.

I'm running Mac OS X 10.4.11 on a 1.5GHz PowerPC G4
PowerBook with 768MB of memory. I've got gcc 4.0.0.
I'm using the 6.8.3 build whose entry on this page

http://www.haskell.org/ghc/download_ghc_683.html

reads

-----
MacOS X (PowerPC)

     * ghc-6.8.3-powerpc-apple-darwin.tar.bz2

This is a binary distribution for Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) on PowerPC G5
machines, prepared by Christian Maeder. It needs libreadline.
5.2.dylib and libncurses.5.dylib under /opt/local/lib/. libgmp.a is
statically linked in.
-----

Now I'm wondering how badly I've shot myself in the
foot.

Alarmed

Conor