[Haskell-cafe] Cyclic Inclusions

Thomas Davie tom.davie at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 09:32:14 EDT 2008

On 12 Aug 2008, at 11:59, C.M.Brown wrote:

> Andrew,
>
> Thanks very much for your reponse. It was very helpful; this makes a
> lot
> of sense!
>
>> And yes, some people think that this is a bug in the specification.

I'm not sure that it does make a lot of sense -- we allow (mutually)
recursive functions, even though they come with an efficiency
penalty.  Why should we not allow (mutually) recursive modules, even
though they too come with an efficiency penalty.  This is even an
example where the efficiency loss is *only* at compile time, and only
happens once, so it's somewhat a better situation than allowing
mutually recursive functions.

I'd say it falls very heavily into the ghc-bug category, not the spec
bug category (even if there's reasons for the bug existing in ghc).

Bob