[Haskell-cafe] What's in a name?

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Wed Aug 13 16:58:38 EDT 2008

The naming of cats is a difficult matter...

Ahem. So as you may have noticed, we seem to have a profusion of
packages all called "binary" or something dangeriously similar. There's
also several "MD5" packages. I could point out a few others. So what I'm
wondering is... Do we have a formal convention for the naming of
packages and/or the naming of the modules they contain? How are name
collisions supposed to be avoided? (E.g., Java uses domain names for
this. If I write a package named Foo, I put all the classes in
orphi.me.uk.Foo.*)