[Haskell-cafe] What's in a name?

Thomas M. DuBuisson thomas.dubuisson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 18:13:03 EDT 2008

> Do we have a formal convention for the naming of
> packages and/or the naming of the modules they contain?
There is a recommended set of categories and in general I believe
library authors try and follow the previously established names.

> How are name
> collisions supposed to be avoided?
In the case of pureMD5 I looked at the other modules and decided to name
mine something with a proper hierarchy that doesn't collide with
'Crypto'.  Hence the extra "Pure" part of the module name.

I believe that an informal process, such as what I did, is much better
than formalizing every aspect of Haskell/Hackage libraries.  The cost in
terms of processes / bureaucracy are just too much to formalize
everything.

Suggestion: Have Hackage warn when a library is uploaded that has Module
conflicts with other libraries.

Thomas