[Haskell-cafe] Re: Is www.haskell.org down?

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Thu Aug 14 16:20:44 EDT 2008

jon:
> > I'm not so sure about the library thing, it seems that Haskell has a
> > bigger community,
>
> What gave you that impression?
>
> According to the Debian and Ubuntu package popularity contest results, OCaml
> currently has 10,635 registered installs compared to 6,606 for GHC. Moreover,
> this ratio has been constant for several years now.

Why, say, do we see the following results:

    * The #haskell IRC channel contains 500 people, the #ocaml channel 70?

    * 250 unique  developers have uploaded 600 new libraries to hackage.haskell.org in the past year.
      How's the Caml Hump going?

    * On Arch Linux, we find 480 Haskell packages and tools, but only 21
      for OCaml. Why the difference?

    * The caml-list had 315 posts for June, 08, while haskell-cafe had
      over 1400

Your statistics focus soley on the Debian-based distribution statitics,
which have had an active OCaml group for several years now. What do the
registered install stats look like, on say, Arch Linux, or Gentoo?

-- Don