[Haskell-cafe] whatever happened to sendFile?

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Fri Aug 15 12:48:25 EDT 2008

On 2008 Aug 15, at 9:34, Tony Finch wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Aug 2008, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:
>> Actually, while I'm not sure how Linux does it, on the *BSDs pipes
>> are
>> actually socketpairs.
>
> Not any more. FreeBSD replaced the socketpair implementation with a
> faster
> one in 1996 and OpenBSD imported it soon after. NetBSD imported it in
> 2001 and Mac OS X in 10.4 (2005). Dragonfly BSD forked from FreeBSD
> after
> the new pipe code was introduced.

Hm.  Somehow I missed that.

In any case, the real point is that historically (the socketpair stuff
goes back to 4.2BSD) pipes were often considered a special case of
sockets, so documentation referring to pipes might well actually mean
or include sockets.  Someone will have to inspect the Linux splice()
implementation to see if it actually works on sockets.

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu