Fwd: [Haskell-cafe] Reader monad, implicit parameters, or something else altogether?

Evan Laforge qdunkan at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 16:20:45 EDT 2008

>> Which is comparable to the Reader version (with the
>> advantage/disadvantage of the body of 'escapeVelocity' not being
>> monadic).
>
> In my opinion the implicit parameters don't make things simpler, only less
> portable, that's why I prefer the Reader monad.

They also seem to be removed from ghc:

http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/cvs-ghc/2006-September/031824.html

So it would probably be a mistake to write new code using them.

As an aside, if that's really the complete patch I'm impressed how few
lines were involved.  136 lines out of TcSimplify.lhs and misc tiny
changes in other files.