[Haskell-cafe] "build depends:" in a .cabal file

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Mon Aug 18 19:20:17 EDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 17:41 -0400, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:
> On 2008 Aug 18, at 17:30, Jason Dagit wrote:
> > In my experience, with recent GHC there are only 3 packages needed to
> > install cabal-install and it's pretty painless.  You need zlib, HTTP
> > and something else that I can't recall off the top of my head (but it
> > tells you).  Each of these packages can be had from hackage and they
> > are very standard cabal installations.  Sometimes you also need to
> > upgrade cabal; I don't think this was an issue with ghc 6.8.2 and
> > newer though.
>
> When I installed cabal-install under 6.8.2 I also had to get a Cabal
> 1.4 prerelease from darcs, IIRC.

Which is now released on hackage. It's all on hackage.

> cabal-install would be helped a lot by either (a) being folded into
> Cabal, and in particular the Cabal that comes with GHC; or, failing
> that, (b) being available as a prebuilt bootstrap package.

We cannot fold it into the Cabal lib package but it will come with the
first Haskell Platform release.

Now that the development version can re-install itself on Windows
(you've no idea how painful windows makes this) I might make a
pre-built .exe version available.

Duncan