[Haskell-cafe] lines of code metrics

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Tue Aug 19 12:55:07 EDT 2008

2008/8/19 Greg Fitzgerald <garious at gmail.com>:
> Does anyone know of a good case study comparing a project written in C
> versus one written in Haskell?  I'm mostly looking for a comparison of lines
> of code, but any other metric, such as time to market and code quality
> metrics could also be

You can easily get some of this data for micro-benchmarks from the
shoot out, but it will be laden with caveats and biases:
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/

While I'm sure your question is the right one ("Which technologies
improve the development metrics we care about?"), it would seem that
the biggest factor for things like time to market and code quality is
actually the group of humans involved:
http://alistair.cockburn.us/index.php/Characterizing_people_as_non-linear,_first-order_components_in_software_development

(these are each very similar and by the same author)
http://page.mi.fu-berlin.de/~prechelt/Biblio/jccpprt_computer2000.pdf
http://www.cis.udel.edu/~silber/470STUFF/article.pdf
http://www.acm.org/pubs/articles/journals/cacm/1999-42-10/p109-prechelt/p109-prechelt.pdf

I found the last one from norvig.com where he has these two essays
that go well together:
http://norvig.com/java-lisp.html
http://norvig.com/21-days.html

Good luck!