[Haskell-cafe] Lines of code metrics

Dimitry Golubovsky golubovsky at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 15:00:11 EDT 2008

Hi,

Greg Fitzgerald wrote:

>Does anyone know of a good case study comparing a project written in C
>versus one written in Haskell?  I'm mostly looking for a comparison of lines
>of code, but any other metric, such as time to market and code quality
>metrics could also be

Just curious, has anybody tried to apply Halstead's code metrics (see
e. g. http://www.sei.cmu.edu/str/descriptions/halstead_body.html), but
there is a 70s' book titled "Elements of Software Science" to Haskell
and other functional languages vs. C and other imperative languages?

I myself played with these calculations in late 80s trying to estimate
code quality of Pascal programs on PDP-11, but that was a pain to
count functions' operands properly as they might come from global
variables. Application of these formulas to functional languages might
be mich cleaner, so has anybody tried?

Thanks.

--
Dimitry Golubovsky