[Haskell-cafe] PRE-ANNOUNCE: cabal-debian (automatically debianize cabal packages)

Seth Gordon sethg at ropine.com
Fri Aug 22 10:06:18 EDT 2008

Ketil Malde wrote:
> Christopher Lane Hinson <lane at downstairspeople.org> writes:
>
>> Having a debianized cabal-install would be the biggest win in my book.  If
>> there were an unofficial debianized mirror of hackage, I probably wouldn't
>> use it anyway.
>
> I might.

I would.  (I run Ubuntu at home, Debian on my personal mail/web server,
and Debian at work.)

I'd rather have all my software maintained by the distro's
package-management system (if I can do it and still have access to the
most recent versions).  One of the things that made me tear my hair out
when I first tried to learn Plone was that my Plone book, the Plone
website, and Ubuntu all recommended different systems for installing
Plone and all its dependencies, and IIRC they defaulted to different
versions as well.