[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Propeganda

Tim Newsham newsham at lava.net
Sat Aug 23 17:10:55 EDT 2008

> I guess I didn't express my point very clearly... That C programmers
> apparently don't realise that a type system that's sound will give them
> something -- i.e. their programmer won't ever segfault.  I wonder when we try
> to advertise Haskell if we should be saying "we can give you programs that
> never segfault", instead of "we have a strong type system".

That would be overpromissing.  You can definitely get segfaults in
Haskell.  The obvious example being

   http://codepad.org/Q8cgS6x8

but many less contrived and more unexpected examples arise naturally
(unfortunately).

By the way, the Java camp has (correctly) been touting this argument for
quite a while.

> Bob

Tim Newsham
http://www.thenewsh.com/~newsham/