[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Propeganda

Maarten Hazewinkel maarten.hazewinkel at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 17:22:21 EDT 2008

On 23 Aug 2008, at 23:10, Tim Newsham wrote:

>> I guess I didn't express my point very clearly... That C
>> programmers apparently don't realise that a type system that's
>> sound will give them something -- i.e. their programmer won't ever
>> segfault.  I wonder when we try to advertise Haskell if we should
>> be saying "we can give you programs that never segfault", instead
>> of "we have a strong type system".
>
> By the way, the Java camp has (correctly) been touting this argument
> for quite a while.

As a day-time java programmer, I can say from experience that
sometimes (100% pure) Java programs DO segfault.

I've had it happen to me, and while you can justifiably say it's an
error in the JVM somehow triggered by your program behaviour/timing,
that doesn't help you very much at the time.

Maarten Hazewinkel